An all-new original graphic novel anthology from Dark Horse. Well, it’s not the latest Halo Comics. The latest should be Halo: Rise of Atriox, which I have not got the chance to read it yet. Halo: Tales from Slipspace was released in 2016. Just got my copy last month. There are 128 pages. Looks like I will be stuck with this for a while. It’s available in both hardcopy (hardcover) and in Kindle from Amazon.
Jack Jack has been posting a few articles on Halo Mega Bloks. Especially on introducing children 10 and below into action figure collection.
I would be looking into some of the comics titles from Halo and then maybe later look into Halo action figures for adults.
Halo Comics – Halo: Tales from Slipspace content
Halo: Tales from Slipspace has 7 stories which are not related to each other. It’s quite easy to start with any. In summary:
- Something Has Happened – Written by Alex Irvine and drawn by Vasilis Lolos. It tells a story about a Flood infestation on the UNSC Spirit of Fire in January 2537.
- Fireteam Majestic Poker Night – Written and drawn by Kody Chamberlain. A slice of life story centered around Fireteam Majestic playing a game of Texas Hold’em poker.
- On The Brink – Written by Duffy Boudreau and drawn by Jonathan Wayshak. On the Brink follows Blue Team during a mission in 2558.
- Undefeated – Written by John Jackson Miller and drawn by Eric Nguyen. Undefeated follows the story of the UNSC Nereid’s crew during the events of Halo 5: Guardians.
- Hunting Party – Written by Jonathan Goff and drawn by Simon Roy. It follows a confrontation between Atriox and the Sangheili special operations team Silent Shadow.
- Knight Takes Bishop – Written by Tyler Jeffers and drawn by Dave Crosland. It follows SPARTAN-G059’s mission to assassinate Avu Med ‘Telcam.
- Dominion Splinter – Written by Frank O’Connor and drawn by Marco Rudy. It tells the story of Cortana’s encounter with the Domain after the end of Halo 4.
On The Brink
I started with this first. Simply because the art is really damn good when compared to the rest. Jonathan Wayshak should be drawing the whole graphic novel. On The Brink follows Blue Team missions in 2558, months before the events of Halo 5: Guardians. It’s narrated by one of the team member, Kelly-087. An M510 Mammoth was hijacked by the Convents and it was sent on an impact course to a nuclear reactor. It is up to the Blue Team to stop the mammoth along with the safety of the passengers.
The story has some nice actions. Art, really love it. It also comes with a full page art, but overall it’s too short.
NOTE: Will add the rest of the stories later.
Halo is a worldwide gaming phenomenon. With sales of 65+ million units since 2001, Halo is the largest science fiction video game entertainment brand today. The Halo Comics – Halo: Tales from Slipspace is a must have. The new stories bring more depth to the universe. There are some good stories with bad art, good art with bad stories and there is also the one that’s not worth reading. Overall, I still think Dark Horse has done a good job. It’s one of the best work the Dark Horse has produced for Halo universe.
For Halo hardcore fans, this is not to be missed. For the rest, wait a while until there’s a bigger discount. If the differences between a Kindle copy and a hard copy is small, go for the hardcopy. Check out the latest price here.
How many Halo comics are there? Where to start reading halo comics? Need to learn more about the Halo universe? Or just to answer “what the heck just happened?” with Halo.
Halo Mythos: A Guide to the Story of Halo
This official authoritative guide to the Halo universe is written in collaboration with 343 Industries. It marks the first time that a book incorporates the entirety of the “Halo” canon, including the games, books, Halo comics, live-action and animated entertainment, and more. Halo Mythos also includes over 50 specially commissioned full-color paintings showcasing vehicles, weapons, ships, artificial intelligence, and never-before-seen aspects of Halo environments. For the first time ever, the timeline of the Halo universe is available in one source, charting humanity’s battles against alien forces of the Covenant, Forerunners, and the Flood making this book an absolute must-have for Halo fans.