The Best Tablet For Reading Comics in 2020 (and also Kindle)
Before I start my review on the best tablet for reading comics or the best Kindle for reading comics, let make a few things clear.
- Tablets come in many sizes but, but I am sticking to the 10-inch version for this review. While an 8-inch tab is just nice for handling on a single hand, but it just too small to experience the 2-page spreads. Take a look at the 2-page spreads which I shared in X-Force #6. It will not look good in anything less than 10 inches.
- A standard modern comic book is 10 and 1/8 inches by 6 and 5/8 inches (25.7 cm x 16.8 cm) which is just nice on a 10-inch tab.
I am very sure that you won’t just get a tablet for reading comics. There are many things you can do with it such as browsing the web, watching movies, playing games, reading novels, and more.
That is why it is necessary to choose a tablet that can be used as a comic book reader and can also do other things with ease.
Now, lets take a look at the available options for the best tablet for reading comics in 2020.
1. Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
This is the best mid-range tablet money can buy and it comes with an S Pen which you don’t need to purchase separately. The tablet also has 3.5 headphone jack.
The only thing that might turn you off is that this model does not come with the Super Amoled screen like the Galaxy Tab S6.
Since I am only using it for reading comics, browsing and light gaming, with almost half the price of the Galaxy Tab S6, the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite is a steal.
I currently own a Galaxy Tab S6 Lite and in summary, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite:
- Has an amazing battery life
- S Pen is included. No need to purchase a pen separately
- Bright 10.4-inch screen
- Premium design with thin bezels
- Expandable storage through microSD expansion
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Battery Life Made This The Best Tablet For Reading Comics
The 7040mAh battery is capable of at least 12 hours of a continuous reading of your favorite comic series.
If you are only using it to read comics, you can use the Tab S6 Lite on and off for several days without recharging it.
Gaming and watching movies may reduce usage to around 7 hours. That’s still a whole day of use from a single charge.
Its 15W USB-C fast charging isn’t speedy, so just make sure you leave it plugged in overnight to have it full again when you wake up.
The S Pen and Expandable Memory
The included S Pen (yes, you don’t need to purchase is separately) simplify notes writing and picture editing. It does not require charging and attaches magnetically to your tablet.
It does not lag and it does not scratch the screen. It is easy to use too.
Another factor I love about the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite is the memory. It is expandable. You can expand your storage space up to 1 TB with a micro SD card. Take note that the card is sold separately.
If you subscribed to Comixology, you can download your comics to your device. Which means you can read your comics anywhere even when you are not online.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Technical Specification
- Screen: 10.4 inches with a 2000 x 12000 TFT Display
- CPU: Exynos 9611 Octa Core (2.3Ghz + 1.7Ghz)
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Storage: 64 GB on-board with micro SD expansion up to 1 TB
- Camera: 8MP AF rear and 5MP front
- Operating System: Android 10
- Battery: 7040 mAh non-removable
- Dimensions: 245 × 154 × 7 mm or 9.63 × 6.07 × 0.28 inches
- Weight: 465g or 1.06 pounds
> Buy the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite from Amazon.
My Galaxy Tab S6 Lite Comes With A Free Bluetooth Keyboard Case
Yes, I was lucky to also get the Targus Bluetooth Keyboard Case for free. Separately, it cost USD89 at Amazon (as at 23 August 2020).
It connects through Bluetooth, so you need to pair it with your tablet the first time. After that it connects automatically.
Scout around for promotion or bundle pack and since Samsung has recently introduced Galaxy Tab S7, the price of the Tab S6 Lite may go down further soon.
2. Apple iPad 10.2
Apple has refreshed its most affordable tablet, but don’t expect any drastic new changes. The design is effectively the same as the 2019 model. The 8th-generation iPad still comes with a 10.2-inch screen and a home button with Touch ID.
There’s a different processor. It comes with the A12 Bionic chip, the same one you can find in the iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and the 2019 iPad Air.
Quite powerful for daily usage.
The smart connectors that were introduced in 2019 are present, too, meaning it supports the first-gen Apple Pencil and the Apple Smart Keyboard. Both are optional, of course.
iPad Battery Life
How long does the battery on iPad 8th-gen last?
If you are just browsing and maybe some Netflix, you will get a good 10 hours of usage. Should be long enough for reading comics.
iPad 8th-gen Technical Specification
- Screen: 10.2‑inch Retina display
- CPU: A12 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture Neural Engine
- Storage: 32GB, 128GB
- Camera: 8MP camera with HDR and 1080p HD video, 1.2MP FaceTime HD front camera with HDR
- Operating System: iPadOS 14
- Battery: Built-in 32.4-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- Dimensions: 250.6 × 174.1 × 7.5 mm or 9.8 × 6.8 × 0.29 inches
- Weight: 1.08 pounds (490 grams) Wi-Fi model; 1.09 pounds (495 grams) Wi-Fi + Cellular model
If you are already on Apple’s ecosystem, then iPad will be a perfect match for you. The 8th generation iPad is a very good offering. It is almost half the price of the newly announced iPad Air.
Since you are only using it to read comics plus a few other stuffs, you don’t need the more powerful, has a more up-to-date design, and additional capabilities of iPad Air.
3. Amazon Kindle Fire HD 10
Amazon is well known for its Kindle line of E-book readers that come with a standard monochromatic display with an E ink technology.
I think most of you are familiar with them. The normal Kindle readers display black text on a gray background whereas Kindle Paperwhite has a brighter background with back-lit technology.
Amazon also produces a line of tablets named Kindle Fire and it enables the reader to experience books in full color.
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 10 is cheaper compared to Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, but in terms of specification, the Galaxy Tab is better. You also have to purchase the pen separately.
The S6 Lite is lighter, better processor and bigger RAM and memory space. It also has a better camera on the front and back.
If I am on a tight budget I would have gotten this over the Galaxy Tab if not for the OS. With the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, you will get the full android OS rather the Amazon’s proprietary one like the one on the Kindle Fire HD 10.
The big difference between Amazon’s Fire OS and regular Android is the lack of the Google Play Store and Google’s various apps and services. If you are used to Android, then you will find a lot of things missing.
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 10 Technical Specification
- Screen: 10.1 inches 1920×1200 LCD (224ppi)
- CPU: 2GHz octa-core
- Memory: 2 GB of RAM
- Storage: 64 GB on-board with microSD expansion up to 512 GB
- Camera: 2MP rear and front-facing cameras
- Operating System: Amazon’s Android Fire OS 7
- Dimensions: 262 x 159 x 9.8 mm
- Weight: 504g
- Battery specification was not mentioned but the battery life is ip to 12 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching video, and listening to music.
> Buy the Kindle Fire HD 10 from Amazon.
Why Do You Need a Tablet or an iPad or Even a Kindle When You have a Hard copy of the Comic Book?
If you ask me, the answer is very simple. I am a collector and I do want to keep my comic books in near mint condition. I do read my comics, but always on a clean table and I try my best to be very careful when handling them.
I can’t bring them anywhere if I want to maintain my key collection in near mint condition. The next best option is using a tablet.
Final Thoughts on the Best Tablet For Reading Comics
My top recommendations for The Best Tablet For Reading Comics in 2020 is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite. The long battery life and a free pen, it is a value for your money.
It’s a well priced product and highly rated by many.
It’s entertainment ready with vivid and crystal clear display which will make you comics reading enjoyable.
When you are not reading comics, enjoy your Netflix on it with dual speakers with sound by AKG supply spacious, Dolby Atmos surround sound.
If you are already on the Apple’s ecosystem then go for the Apple iPad. Of course, you will need to spend more for a pen and also get the model with bigger memory as it is not expandable.
…. and if you are really on a budget, get the Kindle Fire HD 10.
You can get all three (including the previous gen iPad) from Amazon: